For over 15 years, the British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) has led the way, first in helping to set up the infrastructure and then to promote and encourage the recycling of empty aerosols. Recycling of aerosols can make a valuable and significant contribution to recycling rates. BAMA is, for the fourth successive year, staging its Can Do Awards - the search for the best local authority recycling campaign that includes empty aerosols.
Who Can Nominate?
This year, for the first time, as well as self-entry, local authorities can be nominated by suppliers, by other organisations or individuals engaged in the recycling sector or by householders living in the local authority area.
The Campaign can be in any format, whether it’s an online video, web-based initiative or printed promotional leaflet/ flyer. Innovation and effectiveness, not necessarily high spend, are what it’s all about. So whether your campaign or the campaign that caught your eye cost £80 or £8000+ we’d like to hear about it. Entries will be judged on a number of criteria, but the judges will be particularly interested in how local authorities are encouraging their communities to include empty aerosols in their kerbside metal recycling.
Some 83 per cent of local authorities already recycle empty aerosols from households and we want to encourage the remaining 17 per cent to follow suit. Each year, UK consumers use around 600 million aerosols, equivalent to about ten cans per person – in total this represents over 30,000 tonnes
of reclaimable high grade metal that can be recycled. When recycled together with other steel or aluminium containers, empty aerosols make a valuable contribution to achieving both national and local authority recycling targets as well as meeting the compulsory reduction in landfill.
There are covetable prizes for the winning authority and for two runners-up. Each winning authority will be presented with a trophy and certificate and the winning recycling department will receive first prize of a £1000 customised graphic display for a vehicle from our prize sponsor, Epic Media Group
The second and third runners-up will receive a £750 voucher and a £500 voucher respectively, to spend with Epic Media Group on display panels for a vehicle. There are no cash alternatives. Presentations will take place at the local authorities’ offices, to ensure maximum press coverage. Refreshments will be supplied by BAMA.
Entries to be received by:
12 noon on Friday 7th September 2012
The entry form can be downloaded and sent to us or completed electronically. Download the Can Do 2012 Entry Form for further information.