If you are making cosmetic products available to consumers in Great Britain (GB: England, Scotland, and Wales), you must notify your cosmetic products using the Submit cosmetic product notifications service.
You may face a fine of up to £5,000, or a prison term of up to 3 months, if you do not notify OPSS about a cosmetic product.
Who can submit a notification
The cosmetic product ‘responsible person’ can submit a notification.
A responsible person, who must be established in the UK, can be either:
- the manufacturer
- the importer
- the distributor, if they label the product as their own (for example, using their brand name)
- an appointed company or person (who is authorised by the manufacturer or the importer)
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- the category and name of the cosmetic product
- the name of the 'responsible person'*
- where the Product Information File (PIF) is kept
- details of a named contact for the National Poisons Information Service, or Trading Standards, to get in touch with
- details of any nanomaterials the cosmetic product contains
- details of any carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic for reproduction (CMR) substances the cosmetic product contains
- the chemical details of substances
- a summary of the ingredients
- an image of the product’s label
- a photograph of the cosmetic product packaging
How to tell us what’s in the cosmetic product
How you do this depends on whether the product was notified with the EU.
- export your data as a ZIP file for each notification – the EU's Cosmetic Products Notification Portal (CPNP) allows you to do this
- upload the ZIP files - you can upload 100 files at a time
- the formulation of the product if it was an attached document – you must provide this separately as a PDF, RTF or TXT file
- any images – you’ll need to provide them for products notified after 31 December 2020
- details of any nanomaterials in the product
Existing products on the GB market: For cosmetic products available to GB consumers that have already been notified using the EU’s Cosmetic Products Notification Portal (CPNP) before 1 January 2021, you will have until 31 March 2021 to notify your cosmetic products using the UK’s Submit cosmetic product notifications service.
New products for the GB market: For cosmetic products that have not been notified on the EU’s CPNP and are being placed on the GB market after 31 December 2020, you will need to notify these products using the UK’s Submit cosmetic product notifications service before they can be placed on the GB market.
From 31 December 2022 all product packaging must bear the name and address of the UK Responsible Person.
* The ‘responsible person’ is the individual or company responsible for ensuring the regulations are followed. Every cosmetic product placed on the GB market must have a responsible person.